Monday, June 24, 2013

Blast from the Past


Jem and the Holograms. I loved that show. I remember waking up every Saturday morning when I was little and impatiently sitting through thirty minutes of G.I. Joe (which my brother was watching with great enthusiasm), waiting for Jem. I can still hear the theme song in my head....

"Oooooh, Jeeeeem is truly outrageous!
Truly truly truly outrageous!"

Hmm.. Those were some talented songwriters, eh? I guess five year olds are easy to please! But soon, my musical appetite wasn't so easily sated. I would sneak out of bed early in the morning before anyone else was awake and tiptoe down the hall to the family room. After a quick scan to ensure I was the only person about, I would grunt and gasp as I pushed the chair over to the television set. Then, up on my knees, I would turn the dials *CLICK CLICK CLICK* until I found the forbidden fruit:


Teased hair, fingerless lace gloves, frilly socks with high heels - I was in heaven! I turned the volume up just loud enough to hear from about seven inches from the screen, I closed my eyes, and I just listened. 

Speaking of teased hair, who remembers these?


Who didn't love these little buggers?! I had a room full of treasure trolls. Princess trolls, farmer trolls, athlete trolls, plain trolls, fancy trolls - I was a lover of all trolls!

Know what else I collected?


POGS!

There are actually a lot of people who don't remember pogs - and what a shame! It was great fun. The pogs were these little cardboard disks. During a game, the player would slam down a metal disk (called a Slammer) on top of their opponents pog, and if it flipped over, they got to keep it. Or so I think that's how it went. It was loads of fun and very competitive.

These are just a few of my favorite things as a child. Leave me a comment below about your favorite childhood toys, shows, or activities, and I'll post another flashback next Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment